Tarangini School of Kathak Dance was established by the most talented Anuradha Nag in 1992.The name was coined by Pt Birju Maharaj himself. Based in San Jose Tarangini School of Kathak Dance is an educational organization for the arts with the following objectives.
- Teaching and promoting knowledge and awareness of the North Indian classical dance form known as Kathak.
- Creating international interest in the community through multi-cultural stage and television programs for various organizations and educational institutions.
- Providing learning opportunities for talented and /or low- income students through free tuition.
- Sponsoring visiting dancers and accompanying musicians through performances and workshops (artist in resident programs) to preserve and expose the heritage of the dance form.
- To give the students self confidence, exposure through stage appearances and also be able to give them the opportunity perform with live musicians just like one would in India.
- Students are taught how to teach and pass on this rich heritage to the newer generations in order to preserve the art form and also given teaching opportunities.
- Offering Kathak dance as an outlet for creative self expression for all ages.
Anuradha Nag herself is a senior disciple of Birju Maharaj who teaches this fascinating style of Indian classical dance to many Indian and foreign students who aspire to learn Kathak. It was heartening to watch her students equaling Birju Maharajís own students from India. Kudos to Anuradha Nag for organizing such a magnificient , magical evening of Kathak, in San Francisco .This concert was followed by a two day workshop by Birju Maharaj organized by Anuradha Nag for the students of Tarangini.
Narthaki, Aug2, 2003,
by Manjari Sinha